Sunday, May 3, 2015

Monogam / Revell 1:48 B-24 J Liberator


I have to admit that the B-24 isn't in my top 10 favourite aircraft list, mainly because that list only goes to Top 5. But I've built 4 B-17's from Revell/Monogram, and never a B-24. My Dad built the B-24D Variant with the bubble nose, and a good set of circumstances a few years ago I bought this kit. I actually bought it when I was completing the 1:48th Memphis Belle , And wanted a vehicle to go with the model. I found out that the B-24 comes with a small towing tractor, unfortunatly during this build I learned that a few of the parts were missing, and have since called Revell for replacement parts.

The thing that kept me off building this kit was finding a scheme that I liked, in particular the nose art. The B-24 has a huge canvas that demands a magnificent paint scheme. I also toyed with the idea of painting a "Formation bomber" But Sheperd Paine beet me to it, since before I was born. However based on how much fun I had building this model I still might do....



So I decided to invent my own scheme, one option in the kit comes with Yellow and Black checker pattern for the tail. I decided to try making my own and cover the whole tail. I also really liked the Shark mouth, so I searched the internet until I found the "Boise Bronco" Which had just the snarl I was looking for. The Engine cowls were also painted Yellow, and the overall finish was Tamiya X-11 Chrome  .  Monogram also incuded the extra crew set, a wonderful sprue of figures to add to your model on top of the typical Monogram crew included with most kits.

 There are a few areas that needed attention, mainly the engine Nacelles requiring a lot of putty and sanding, the rest of the kit went together with little to no fuss. Lastly the decals, I used Tamiya Mark Fit "Strong" they conformed perfectly and I gave them a quick sealing coat of Future Polish and done!  I think the only down side is the weight of the model is too great to add in sufficient weights without damaging the model so unfortunately it's a tail sitter, but it could have been worse I suppose.

I think their B-17G is the superior kit, but not by much this is a fantastic kit I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's a cleverly engineered kit that still holds up, Revell/Monogram did a terrific job engineering a kit that with it's big size is still very strong and easy to assemble. I just wish some one would produce a kit of 1:48th scale Crews that is easy to buy and with lots of different variants and poses to add to more kits.

Check out the build on Youtube:

Part 1:

Part 2:
















No comments:

Post a Comment