Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Tamiya kits are great..... except their decals.


I bought a Tamiya 1:48 P-51 B/C, limited edition "Blue Nose" for one reason.... It came with Cartograf decals...... Yes seriously I was that excited to have a Tamiya model kit with good decals in it. I don't even really care that much about the P-51, but the oppertunity to have excellent Cartograf decals was just something I couldn't resist.

Tamiya, is an excellent company. I'd say most of their kits are about 95% perfect in their fit, engineering and over all design. They are beautiful fun kits to build, until you get to their decals. 

I hear online all the time, people begging Tamiya for new kits, a 1:32 Me 109, a 1:35 King Tiger, and on and on and on..... What's the point of buying these new kits if the decals aren't good. Seriously Tamiya, I loved your 1:32 Aircraft range, I've built the A6M2b Zero, Spitfire Mk IXe, and P-51D. And these were so much fun until I got to the decals. I brought out Walthers Solvaset, and that barely did anything. 

On the Spitfire I nearly didn't get the thing decalled, they were so thick and cracked easily, no decal solvent did the trick. I even bought Tamiya brand decal solvent "Mark Fit STRONG" There is nothing strong about that stuff. It's slightly stronger than Micro Sol.

I want to build their 1:32 Mosquito, and F4U Corsair, but I don't want to deal with the decals. I've got several Tamiya 1:72 Zero's and again I just don't want to bother with their decals.

"Why don't you just buy aftermarket decals"

Because I feel like I shouldn't have to. I paid for the kit, I should be able to successfully use the decals included.  Everyone is siting around their computers yelling what they want Tamiya to produce next and it's my turn.

Tamiya I want new decals in your kits, nice quality decals that respond well to solvent and easily conform to surfaces. You make such great products, and kits, but your decals aren't worth anything.

... except our decals....

And while I'm on it, where is that new 1:350 Musashi you promised a few years ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment