Friday, January 30, 2015

Bandai - Kirishima #10 - Yamato 2199 - Mecha Collection

 I was recent'y introduced to Space Battleship Yamato series, starting with the live action movie, and then to the 2199 series. I really like the movie but man the new TV series is amazing! My brother and I instantly became addicted to the show, and began a week long late night marathon of the show. It didn't disappoint.  The holiday season of 2014 I treated myself to the 1:1000 Yamato 2199 kit, I'm still working on it.  I knew about this show but by it's American name uugh "Star Blazers". To me it's hardly as majestic as "Space Battleship Yamato". Greg aka stevethefishdotnet. Has been largely responsible for my interest in the show as he's made a few videos unboxing these kits and building a few of them.

This "Mecha" collection I think is a great idea, they are small kits costing around $5. They have great detail and a nice display stand, with a bit of work they fit nicely on your desktop and you've got a great looking model. My little brother really wanted one, and I found the Kirishima online from my local hobby store. I decided to purchase this for him, and his excited joy in receiving the kit made it all worth while :)

I however stole the kit away before he could start it, so I could take some pictures of the sprues. He's upped the level of detail in his work lately which is really cool. He started hand painting the kit and quickly became dissatisfied with his results. So I showed him how to remove the paint without damaging the plastic. He's now primed the kit and is in the process of airbrushing the parts. I'm really excited to see how he finishes it. He's also going to try a Panel Line Wash.








The only downside, are the stickers. It's understandable why these are in the kit however. 
I'm going to scan these and turn them into decals.

No comments:

Post a Comment