Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Good Haul

There are those random days, sometimes every few years, where a strange cosmic string of events collide, and the modeling Gods grace us with kit after kit. And I'm not talking about those times where you don't have the cash, or they are already prebuilt and covered on a glue mess. I mean when some strange reason, everything goes right.

Starting at my local Comic Book store, I found this Citadel Lord of the Rings Mumakil. I'm a HUGE fan of the LOTR franchise, and I built quite a few LOTR miniatures back in their heyday. I always wanted this kit, but never got around to getting one, until that day.......

Basically the owner wanted it gone! It was taking up room and no one wanted it, so he gave it to me for an amazing deal.


Eventually I purchased the Mumak Driver figure for this.


 On my way home I passed through a small town, where I knew there was an antiques store. Last year they had a few model kits that I passed on. I decided since I had the time, to pop in. I never expected this.

Immediately entering the store I was greeted to a few boxed kits, one of them being this Authentic Models 1:96 Savoia Marchetti. This was recently released by Glenco Models a few years ago, and I never saw it on the market. It's a good looking kit, not the most extreme on detail, but I'm confident that it will be a fun build.
1:96th scale? Sure, why not?


 I then asked the owner if they had any more. He showed me to this box, the Holy Grail! A box filled with bagged Airfix and FROG models. In practically mint condition! I picked up 2, one and A6M2b Zero ( I needed another Vintage Zero for a future Diorama) And one I've only seen for extreme high prices on the web, the Supermarine S.6b. I grabbed my treasures headed for the till and headed home, with my head in the clouds.

A few days later I told my older brother about my finds, and he really, really wanted to go and see these for himself. So I took him that Friday, and I grabbed 4 more kits.

 Airfix 1:72 Starfighter, had to its Canadian. And I had never seen this kit before. 

Avro Anson. Always wanted to build one, they flew a lot of these around here during WWII. Plan on turning this into a Canadian Trainer, no turret.

Boomerang, Built one as a kid. And I was never too happy with the final result. I remember the wheel struts breaking off, and one of the cannons, as soon as I saw it was grabbed it. Would really love to build this one up properly.

Gosling, (Not Pictured) I bought this one for my Dad. He had one a few years ago and it was quite damaged from moving. He was really pleased to have another to build again.






My brother went crazy, seriously! Seeing all these kits blew whats left of his mind. I thought he'd grab 4 or 5, but he had other plans.....

Hawk 1:48? U-2

Airfix 1:72 
Beaufighter
Roland C-11
Auster
Airacobra

Defiant
Yak-9a
Fieseler Storch
F4U-1D Corsair

Harvard/Texan
FROG- Hawker Seafury
EE Lightning
Me 110D

Fokker Dr.1 
Wildcat
Bristol Bloodhound
A4D-1 Skyhawk

Lastly IL-2 Sturmovik

Yeah, in one afternoon he filled the vast majority of his "wanted" section.  

Like I said one of those very rare times when for what ever reason things just all come together......



1 comment: