Monday, July 25, 2016

Polar Lights 1:1000 NX-05 Serenity (Custom Build)

Well I thought I uploaded this one a long time ago. 

Star Trek Enterprise TV series, introduced up to the NX class Enterprise, one of the first to bear the name. Eventually we were introduced to the NX-02 Columbia. In one episode it was mentioned that there were 2 more NX class star ships to be built. The NX-03, and NX-04 were never seen or really officially named. There are a few who would say other wise. 

I've built 2 of these Polar Lights 1:1000 NX-01 Enterprise kits. I really like the design and it's quite a fun model. The first I built when Polar Lights was still around, and a few years ago I built the newly modified NX-01 Refit, with the new tooled lower hull section, (supposedly to be built for the canceled Season 5) I liked this kit a lot as well. 

I have a weird gimic that I like to do. I like to take Starships and pose them upside down, and see if they'd look appealing as a new ship. And with this NX class I liked the design of the ship with the engines on the bottom. I reminded me of a Miranda class star ship, or what could have inspired her.

So I cut off the engine pylons, flipped them around and upside down, and reattached them with superglue. The bridge in the center was a separate piece so this made that an easier task. Would have been more difficult if I was using and older molding of this kit. 

I made a custom mix of Tamiya Metallic Grey XF-56, and lightened it with XF-16 Flat Aluminium. After a gloss coat of future, I began a very long, and rewarding process of masking the kit. Using mostly tiny small rectangles of Tamiya tape. I took over 2 weeks to have it all masked off, and I then painted the hull Metallic Grey XF-56. 

The toughest part wasn't laying down all those tiny pieces of tape. No. The real challenge was coming up with a name for this ship. Since I cut the engines and re positioned them I decided to call this the NX-05. Since they were probably going to make more, why not? And I named it the Serenity, after the Firefly class ship of the same name. From the short lived TV series and movie, Firefly & Serenity. Just my little wink and nod to that TV show I really was had continued, and to the Star Trek series I wish had gone on as well.


























Custom decals

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.
    FM Architettura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, I've got a few more Star Trek projects in the works. And a few that will be more involved as far as the painting is concerned. I hope to get to them soon.

      Delete