Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Airfix 1:72 Nakajima B5N2 "Kate"

I was thrilled when late 2014, Airifx announced a new Japanese model kit to their 2015 line. I was even more thrilled when at long last I finally had one in my hands. I was less than thrilled when the project went south and botched up.......

I admit the face that my model was ruined left me quite upset, and I decided to place it back in the box until a time when I felt like restoring it again. I have a Revell 1:25 1968 Bullitt Mustang, and several years a go I tried to paint it, without the correct shade of green. A few years later I got the exact color (Highland Green) and decided to try using oven cleaner with the kit, sealed in a bag for a few weeks. This method worked perfectly! And I was able to save the kit, for a later date.

I decided after this success that I would try it out on this kit too. And it didn't work out as well... I partially blame it on the Humbrol plastic being quite soft, especially compared to the Revell sytrene. However after a day of mulling over the kit I decided to try sanding it down, and I was thrilled to get it back to basically it's original format. I rescribed some of the main panel lines and began the restoration process.

I decided this time to build the Pearl Harbour attack version, and at this point I had a new detailing airbrush and thought it would be a fun challenge. I also decided on using a lighter green for the splotches Tamiya Nato Green, which I think worked really well.

I'm really thrilled again, that I was able to save this kit. And I'm really happy with how it turned out. I wasn't however able to completely restore the canopy, some of the paint from the previous work slipped through the tape, and it's on there pretty tight. I really enjoy looking at this kit as I walk by, a wonderful kit from Airifx, I'm definitely going to be ordering a second on and soon.




















2 comments: