Monday, July 31, 2017

MENG -/- Tiger 1 (World-War Toons)

I'ts always a pleasure to walk into my local hobby store and see something unexpected. My brother sent me pictures of this funny looking squished up tiger tank, and I told him to get one. He went back 2 days later and picked it up.


Hasegawa came out with their "Egg Plane" series in the 80's and lately that series has been gaining in popularity. Tiger Models has released a few of their own, and some of you may remember that I built the MENG Kids He 177, a while ago. So MENG has 4 of their own squished up cute aircraft (note to self, buy the B-17 and Lancaster) Even Fujimi got in on the action a while back and built a series of Japanese ships, (Note to self get the I.J.N Yamato & Kongo) So it looks like these "Cute/Kid/Egg" type models are still quite popular and here to stay.



So based on the box, this Tiger 1 is from a video game, I think I'll check it out later. But in the first wave, we got a Tiger, and Sherman (the Sherman was sold otherwise you would see a review of that one too) And recently adding a King Tiger, and a KV-2.


I've seen these kits posted around and I was really curious about the build. For just $17 CDN, you are getting a lot out of this kit.




Rubber tracks might turn away some modelers, but the included
poly caps are designed to allow the model to roll.

1 piece tracks, and they are molded extremely well.

Upper hull has lots of molded on details. Also note
the bent skirts and front, a nice touch.



x2

Main turret assembly, and sides.






Personally I think out of the box this kit looks amazing. I'll have to wait and see if it follows through with the construction. A few things that were a bit of a let down. The main barrel is molded in 2 parts, while the smoke grenades feature slide molding. I'm just not sure why they didn't mold the barrel in 1 piece and the flash suppressor in another, again using the slide molding.

One of my biggest gripes with these types of kits is the lack of any people to got with it. Like Hasegawa, MENG have put a cartoon German soldier on the box, but one isn't included with the kit. I know this is probably just a character from the game, but then why have the commanders hatch open? Why not include a tank commander?

But really that's it, any complaint or annoyance I have at this point in time is just null. Again for the price of this kit you are getting a lot out of it. I'm really interested in getting for myself the Sherman or the King Tiger, this looks like a really fun kit. And a perfect starting kit for any beginner modeler out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment