Thursday, October 6, 2016

Airfix 1:72 Saab JAS 39 Gripen

The Gripen (Griffin) was designed to replace the Viggen. It it the current fighter in the Swedish air force as well as several other countries. As is the case with many aircraft it was plagued with high cost and taking years long to produce than expected, yep sounds like a Saab aircraft all right.

In the end the fighter has proved itself to be a capable fighter, with favor in it's agility and maneuverability. One of the other notable characteristics of the Gripen is it's smaller size, especially when compared to the Viggen. 

Rob@basicmodeling was kind enough to give me the heads up on this kit. I saw this in my hobby store but the thoughts of the Airfix Eurofighter quality can to my mind, and I was passing on this kit. Rob informed me that the kit is in fact and Italeri design, and this got me interested in the kit once more. He then explained that the Airfix version features 2 version of the prototype. The First being the one on the cover in a Grey-light greay scheme. And the second in an all black scheme. 

So thanks to Rob you've got a full look at the parts, and the painting guide, this one looks like a very fun build.   










1 comment:

  1. Just realised I can comment.. :) :) Great look at the sprues, looking forward to seeing your take on this kit. It'll be a while yet before I'll do a Gripen of any kind, as I want to tackle a couple of aircrfat next, that I haven't built before, i.e a F-14 Tomcat and a Panavia Tornado. But not until I have finished my Airfix 'Red Square' Draken and the Saab B17. :)

    ReplyDelete