Thursday, October 22, 2015

How to Make: Clear Cockpit Dials

Adding in a few and simple details can help you model stand out. Drilling out the exhausts or gun barrels, adding in a brake line, simple tricks. One that I've wanted to try is making cockpit dials. Many modellers do this and it's quite simple. For this build I've used Revell's new tooled 1:32 Spitfire Mk IIa. 



The decals are in nice register and feature nice detail.


I first painted the panel Flat Black.


Tools I used for drilling out the holes: A Pin Vice, Rounded File, and Hobby knife.


I first drilled out the holes with the Pin vice, widening the holes with the Hobby Knife,
and finally cleaning and shaping with the rounded file.


Next, I've cut out the decals and left them on the paper,


I then applied Micro Scale Kristal Klear,


And Glued both decals to the back.


Lastly was to fill in the dials with more Kristal Klear,


Once the glue dries clear, it shows the detail of the dials, giving the impression 
that they are behind glass.

This method is easier with 1:32nd and 1:24th scales, but I have seen it done in 48th scale too. It depends on the modeller and their preferences. It's a fun added touch that once again is simple and adds a nice bit of detail to you model.

No comments:

Post a Comment