Saturday, November 8, 2014

Zvezda Samurai Battles

Zvezda has been a company a lot of people are watching lately. Over the years they have been releasing some really fantastic kits.  Their new tooled 1:48th scale Me 109 F has been high on my to buy list and they continue to surprise us with many more excellent kits. Lately they have been getting into miniature war-gaming. They have several sets Including a 1600's era Galleon Ship Battle set, a modern Army fighting set, and a popular WWII Fighting set. I've bought quite a few of their WWII small scale aircraft kits and a few tanks but the set that's stood out to me the most is their "Samurai Battles" kits.

Let's face it Samurai are cool, Darth Vader wouldn't be so cool if it weren't for the Samurai. Steve Mcqueen wouldn't have been so awesome (ok yah he'd still be awesome) if it weren't for Seven Samurai. And these Zvezda kits are really cool. They usually range around $5 Cdn, and you get quite a bit for you buck.  My favorite part is that they are a nice stiff grey plastic, and not the rubbery red, blue, green, mess we're all too familiar with. They have quite a bit of detail to them and most have several parts to them. They are snap kits designed for those who don't want to glue them together, and would rather just play the game. The Banner flags which are atatched to the back of the figures are molded in Yellow and Red plastic, this is to differ the two opposing armies. Again meant for the convenience of those who just want to play and not paint the figures. The characters are mounted on small display stands that fit into a larger display base, and come with 2 different clan decals, which applied very nicely with a little solvent.

Over the course of this page I will continue to keep updating each army as they are painted. With the help of my brother we hope to have the whole catalogue of figures painted and added to this page. We recently found and purchased the Starter kit "Samurai Battles, and will be releasing an unboxing video of that soon, but for now enjoy these:

Mounted Samurai Archers:  

















4 comments:

  1. Did you guys ever get around to painting your starter set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a very slow process. I got another job, so that's distracted from finishing these, but my brother and I are aiming to get them done before the end of the year.

      Delete
  2. Well, i am looking for inspiration to paint up my sets as well as getting these wonderful figures to the table. I have two of the base sets plus the Ninja XP, so that's a whole load of figs to paint up. I quite liked how your archers turned out. The problem is i haven't been painting for a long, long while. I was using Tamiya acrylics back in my day but these days its getting more and more difficult to find them in the local stores, so am tempted to try out some other paints like Vallejero or Army Painter as after i eventually finish the Samurai Battles, i have a whole load of GF9 Tanks to start on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried Army painter, paints, but I've used Vallejo, and I really love how nice they are to use. I also used P3 paints for the yellow. I really like those as well, as they have very nice color tones, and are quite inexpensive :) Vallejo paints are really nice for mixing together as well. And they have a general color line and a gaming color line with some fantastic colors.

    ReplyDelete