Thursday, January 9, 2014

Some New Citadel Paints

I remember a modeler I once met saying " You spend so much time learning, testing, failing. Trying time and time again to develop a perfect system. Getting it just right, then some company comes along and makes the product for you in a tiny bottle".  I do agree with him here, I spent a lot of time testing and playing with a Pastel wash only to find a year later Tamiya makes an Enamel wash in a nice jar with a tiny brush to use on the bottle cap. I've since bought one and have used it regularly on my models.

My younger brother loves to build Games Workshop miniatures, And is usually on their website seeing whats new and what kit to buy next. I was looking into buying a wash at the time, and he showed me that Citadel Paints had recently remade a bunch of new washes. I convinced him to buy a few and try them out. Both of us were impressed with the great quality of these washes,and I've since borrowed them from him and used them on many different projects, every time they display wonderful results. Even my Dad has borrowed them for a few projects. I've kept an eye on Citadel more and keenly awaited new weathering products. So a Short while ago Citadel released a few more new paints, two of which stood out to me the most, and I'm here to show you how they look.


The fist paint I wanted to try is called Nihilakh Oxide , It's a blue green wash, perfect for creating an oxidized copper effect. Its an acrylic wash, and mixes easily by simply shaking the bottle. On their website Games-Workshop shows the was being used on a copper statue, and for creating a unique tech looking visor. I tested it on one of my Brothers Orks. 



The wash is a bit thick and doesn't flow as nice as it should. So I mixed the paint with a bit of water and got it to flow much more and pool in the places I wanted. I think this is a great wash, I really liked how the Ork face on the back of the canister looks, and I easily made the figure stand out more. You can get a stronger color too, if it at first looks too faded and transparent, simply paint another coat on when the first layer is dry, and you'll get a brighter effect.  I gave this to my Dad to use on a Cutty Sark ship he's currently building, he really loved how nice it aged the copper hull and gave it more realism. 



The second one I bought is called Ryza Rust. As its name states it is to make an easy Rust effect, I really wish I had this on a  few tanks. I thought it was a wash like the other paint, But upon opening the container, you would think that the paint had begun to dry out. Don't worry it suppose to be like this. I had to go back on the GW  website and see how to use this stuff. On the bottle bellow the Citadel logo its labeled DRY , I later found that this is to be dry brushed on the model. This made more sense and my first attempts more simpler.
Before

After



The bottle is very Orange, but once you start to brush it on, it really bring on a great look of rust. Again this too can be layered on for a much thicker rustier effect. This stuff was so much fun to use I made me want to buy a U-boat or a few tanks to weather and rust up. Its very easy to use and works itself very well. Giving you an easy method to great weathering.


Final Thoughts:

 I feel as though Citadel paints are often over looked or ignored by modelers. I would sincerely recommend to you that you give them a look over, and check out their web site. I personally don't use them as much, because I don't like their paint bottles, they make me feel uneasy and that I'm going to tip them over and spill all the paint, or that they will somehow do it themselves. If Citadel were to change the bottles I'd most likely buy more. However their washes and effects paints are really great and have terrific results that bury my anxiety. I've showed the to other modelers and they too have bought a few bottles of Citadel Paints, and were really happy and surprised with the finished result. Citadel also released a Blood wash that looked gory. It would look great on the Axes of these Orks, And I'm consideration getting it too. 

I hope that you go and give a few of these a try. The results were better than I had originally thought. And I'm very eager to see what paints and washes Citadel will create for us in the future. Be careful when you are buying these, Citadel gives all their types of paints very strange names, I've caught my self a few times wondering if I did in fact buy the right stuff. They also add weird names to their paints, I mean Nihilakh Oxide? I'm not sure how to properly pronounce the first word there.  I hope you've enjoyed reading this, and that you might consider Citadel in the future, this is rebelsatcloudnine signing out!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment